Thursday, September 16, 2010

Survival of the Freshmen

When coming into Beta, freshmen can be intimidated by stories of teachers overloading on homework, or worry that they will no longer have a life. Students who are not used to being in a school that challenges them may have a hard time adjusting to the more demanding situation they find themselves in. Still, I believe the school is good for learning self discipline; the survival rate for freshmen can improve if they follow some tips.


I think planners should become a freshman's best friend because they can be so helpful when it comes to keeping up with assignments, due dates, events, and more. My planner is full of writing, which sometimes looks awful, but I try to have it looking neat. I take it with me to every class and make sure to write the assignment at the end of the period.


No matter what, there will be stress, but that is where you learn how to deal with it. For me, prioritizing is essential; I have had to make the decision between watching "The Big Bang Theory" or working on my English project, or on Wednesdays, I have to finish ALL my homework for Thursday and go to church.

One of the things I have the most difficulty in is time management. I love taking my time and being a perfectionist, but sometimes it is necessary to just finish the work and finish it all.

They should start homework early when they get home because I have started my homework at 9 p.m. and gone until 2 a.m. Personally, my brain cannot process things when I am half asleep. I end up just going to sleep and hoping to be able to finish it the next day. It usually never gets done before it is time to turn it in.

To all the freshmen out there, you'll get used to it, do your best, take it seriously, and remain calm.

1 comment: